Wednesday, April 20, 2016

And so it starts...







"For years (maybe decades), I sat on the sidelines and was only an observer."



A couple of years ago, I went to my first district convention as a delegate. It was quite and honor and quite a thrill. But I will say this - two years ago when we were selecting delegates and alternates to represent our BPOU, it was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time. Why? Way, way too many, qualified people running. Choosing between them was really hard. This year? Just as hard - maybe harder. 

For years (maybe decades), I sat on the sidelines and was only an observer. Other times I was worse than that. I was like Neo in the movie The Matrix when he was offered the blue pill. Neo did not take it - I did. I just floated along like nothing was wrong, living in my bubble. Meanwhile, the rust was decaying the foundation of our great republic. And by the rust, I mean the progressive agenda.

Four years ago a long line friend from my high school challenged me. Oh, I was gripping about stuff, and how I wished things would change. She then asked me what I was doing about it. I told her that I voted. "And...", she responded. Then I told her I had a yard sign in my yard. "And...", she responded. I had no answer. Then she told me about the plethora of things I could get involved with to help the cause. Up to and including this blog site.

Now that I am involved, I have forgiven myself for spending so much time not being so. The point is, I am involved now, and I am loving it. Can I make a difference? I really don't know. But I do know this - win, lose or draw, I am involved. And I am trying to make up for many  years when I let someone else pull the load.

On Saturday, we will be endorsing either our sitting Congressman or a challenger. Then we will be choosing candidates to run for national candidates at the state convention in Duluth. Fun time, but serious time. Even to have a very small part in this process is a big deal to me. I may be a third stringer, but at least I am not on in the bleachers anymore (like I was for so many years), just watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment