Monday, April 25, 2016

A young man's journey






"However my agenda, and the agenda the Selective Service had to keep a '2S' student deferment was nowhere in sync."



I tell this story every now and again. It was 47 years ago yesterday that my Mother and Father took me into downtown Minneapolis to drop me off at the old Federal Building. I was going to be sworn into the Navy. I was the first to be dropped off. Then my Dad was going to drop off Mom at the old Dayton's, where she worked. Then it was off to work for my Dad. Just another day at the office.


I had graduated from high school in 1967. After graduation I went to North Hennepin Junior College (for one year) and then transferred north to St. Cloud State College. I really was nowhere prepared for college. I like being in plays, having fun, being with my girlfriend - now all that I was ready for. However my agenda, and the agenda the Selective Service had for me to keep a "2S" student deferment, were nowhere in sync.

Hearing the footsteps of the Selective Service getting closer in October 1968, I enlisted in the United States Navy under the new six month delay program. I could keep on with school, not worry about being drafted, and then be officially sworn in on April 24, 1969. Sounded good at the time - turned out to be a big mistake. As the song goes, "I partied like it was 1999". My grades really took a nosedive but I did not care. I have having way, way too much fun.

Once being sworn in at the Minneapolis Federal Building (yes, the one which got bombed in 1970), all us new recruits boarded a bus and headed for the airport. Some were going to Great Lakes for boot camp, myself and others were going to San Diego. We were all young and scared and knew our lives were about the change forever.

It was a bumpy ride to San Diego. Our jet blew an engine over the desert southwest and we had to make an emergency landing in Phoenix. I really did think I was going to die since I had only been on a jet once before in my life. But we landed safely (in emergency fashion), got on another jet and made it the rest of the way to San Diego. And that is where my Navy journey really began. 

Boot camp faded into "A" School, which was held down in Pensacola, Florida. From there to my first duty station in Okinawa for 18 months. Once that tour was up, it was back to Pensacola for "C" School, and then orders up to Maine. And then it was over. I was 23 and discharged (honorably). I went to college (this time I buckled down and studied), got married, graduated, and then went back into the Naval Reserve. I received a commission as a crypto officer and served as additional 17 years in the Naval Reserve, until I retired in 1992.

Many young men who grew up during that time have a similar story. The draft was like a spectre which haunted most of us. It guided or influenced most everything we did. When I graduated from high school and turned 18, the Vietnam War as well as the draft, were in full swing. Many young men went to that war. Some willingly, others not so. They went to fight an entrenched and hardened enemy who had already defeated the French. Some young men came back wounded, some came back different, and some did not come back at all. 

I tell this young man's story not to brag nor to complain. It is just one story from a place and time never to be seen again. I have no regrets for how this story went. My wife, my kids (and now grandson), and yes having in the Navy as a second career, have played huge parts in my life. Again, no regrets. I have enjoyed every part of the ride, and hope to continue for years to come. 




No comments:

Post a Comment