Monday, April 18, 2016

And which lives matter?






"It has gotten so bad (read the paper on this one), when the gunshots go off, Mothers need to check the bedrooms to see if their kids are okay."



I write this with great sadness today. I was just on a news feed, and it talked about a 12 year old kid being murdered in some American city. No, it was not in Iraq. No, it was not in Syria. No, it was not in the countless of trouble areas in the world today. It was in a town in the USA. It was a young child, who was attending a basketball game to honor her cousin who at age 15, had also been shot and killed.

Now I am sorry. I can't read or see articles like this and just pass them off. "Oh, well, it is them." Or, "Oh well, it did not happen in my town." Or finally, "Oh well, they were not kin." Well, guess who they were? First off, they were kids. Not even able to start their lives yet. And secondly, they were Americans. And we see this happen over, and over, and over again.

Okay - I will say it. I can see the forest through the trees. Have there been some incidents where the police behaved badly that resulted in the death of a young black man (or woman). Yes, that is possible. But here are the facts. The inner cities are becoming a shooting galleries. Killing numerous adults and kids.  Not just in Chicago, Milwaukee, or Cleveland. I am talking about most of the blue cities in America - including Minneapolis and St. Paul. 

It has gotten so bad (read the paper on this one), when gunshots go off, Mothers need to check the bedrooms to see if their kids are okay. Not in some border town in Iraq - in the Twin Cities. And this is not right.

It is becoming more and more difficult for me to discuss this issue without using some kind of invective. Yes - I feel that strongly about it. NO KID deserves to die this young. I really don't give a rat's butt how old he (or she) is. He (or she) deserves a full life. So when someone asks, "Do black lives matter?" My answer is totally yes. When the question is asked about all lives, my answer is the same. 

Folks, we are different than the Islamic Terrorists. They may relish in cutting of the heads of children, or killing them in a different fashion, but we do not. And we think such of an act, of ending a life so young, as abhorrent. So when we also ends lives so young, it makes our words ring hollow. 

What is my "punch line" so to speak? ALL LIVES MATTER! Not my words - read the Holy Scriptures. We need to put an end this carnage and now! No more killing. No more dead kids. No more, no more, no more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment