Friday, April 15, 2016

So close, yet so far...




"Many of the people just across the border moved here not just because it is beautiful country. They were drive out of Minnesota by the inexcusable and punitive tax policies."



Today for the second time in a  month I ventured across the eastern border. Where? Into the dairy state of Wisconsin. Now to be truthful, I have always had some "Sconie" running through my veins. Prior to 1961, I was (for a kid) a hard core Packer fan (yes, I will admit it). I married a gal who was born in Superior, WI. I was the Commanding Officer of a reserve unit based in La Crosse, WI. I fished in WI for years with a friend at his cabin. If someone tortured me to say bad things about Wisconsin, I could not do it. I really do love that state.

Sitting in this restaurant at noon with a whole slew of very nice gentlemen, was a real treat for me. I can honestly say I have not met ANYONE in Wisconsin that has rubbed me the wrong way. On the contrary, while in Wisconsin I have met some of the nicest people you could imagine.

Many of the people have moved across the border only because of its beautiful country. Some others were driven out of Minnesota by the inexcusable, intolerant and punitive tax policies.

As my good friend Tom and I drove around North Hudson, we enjoyed the topography and the view. Then a thought came into my head. Here we are, a mile (as the crow flies) or so from the border of Minnesota, and we were safe. 

Safe from what? I was not in hostile territory. No, the hostile territory was just across the river. For some reason, Wisconsin has figured out how to make it work. They are truly "open for business". They are not only "open for business", they are also open for new residents - and lots of them. Wisconsin is a state that knows (or has learned) how to be welcoming to everyone - business and homeowner alike. 

By the way - back at the Minnesota ranch. What is Minnesota doing today, the day which at one time was known as "Tax Day"? Hint - not a damn thing. Except coming up with new ways to keep taxes high (or higher) by inventing new spending.

So as long as more and more Gopher State residents worship tax day, more and more freedom Gophers will turn in their coats and become Badgers. I am getting close to doing that. I kind of like the color red. It is growing on me. More and more every year.   

2 comments:

  1. Metro Council, the big brother of the MN metro nanny state. Another reason I moved to Wisconsin. You have to go out 7 counties to get away from the Metro Council, even then they claim influence in the surrounding counties, interfering with the elected local governments. Heck, they keep trying to find a way to jump the river into Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I could never become a Badger, or wear red for that matter, I could see the advantage of leaving Choo Choo Train crazy MN. Now they are planning on spending half a billion dollars to build a special road for a bus to travel down town from the greater Woodbury. Mean while the main form of transit, our road and streets, are deteriorating and they want more trains and rapid busses. I see the wisdom of the move and as a Realtor in both states I would be happy to help those looking to escape the land of 10,000 taxes.

    ReplyDelete