Friday, April 8, 2016

Leaving on a jet plane (not!)





"To say we were crammed in like sardines is an insult to sardines. Ours was worse."


I was watching an older movie the other day. It showed some people flying on an airplane in the 1950's. There was room galore, people were standing up chatting, having a drink and smiling. I know that was not total fantasy as when I would fly quite a bit in the 1980's and 1990's, it was still somewhat like that. Somewhat. Today? Not in the least.

Last November my wife and I flew down to Florida to go on a cruise. After the cruise we flew home from Los Angeles. To say we were crammed in like sardines, is an insult to sardines. Ours was worse. It even seemed more cramped than the flight we took the year before when we flew home from Alaska. And that flight was cramped.

Now I am not as experienced a flyer as many are. I did however, hit 1 million miles on Northwest before it became Delta. I also have miles on the old Western, Eastern, Braniff and so on. I have flown on European lines and Qantas. In other words, I know cramped from not cramped.

The other day the Senate took up a bill to regulate the size of a passenger's "footprint" when they fly. It did not pass. And I agree with the fact it failed. Why? The market will take care of this. I shun flying right now even though I have hundreds of thousands of free miles remaining. It sucks. I would rather drive. Driving is cheaper and more enjoyable for me. Besides, I have seen enough of clouds from the top down. I prefer the opposite view. 

Here is the irony of the airlines squeezing passengers more and more. People are getting fatter. The seats are getting closer together at the same time people are getting bigger. Hello? Does this make any sense? On one of my recent flights I sat next to someone who was quite a bit broader than I am (and I am no shrinking violet). That person literally "oozed" past the arm rest into my territory. It made an already uncomfortable flight downright torture.

Sorry Peter, Paul and Mary. As much as I like your song, "Leaving on a jet plane", I think I will take a pass. The plane can take off without me, thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment