Saturday, September 17, 2016

Fat and ugly






"I really do hate it when I hear anyone on the campaign trail, running for any office, resort to name calling. I especially hate it when I hear it coming from someone running for President."



I worked with a man years ago who had a sign hanging up in his office. It said, "I may be fat, but you are ugly - and I can always lose weight." It was a humorous sign, and I got a kick out of it the first few times I saw it. But that sign covered up a growing cancer (in my opinion) in our country. The scourge of meanness and name calling.

It has been said when someone uses slang or invective in their language, it shows a lack of a good vocabulary. I think the use of name calling is even worse than using invective. Why? Because the use of invective focuses back on the person using it. But name calling is used to degrade, besmirch or marginalize another person. 

I really do hate it when I hear anyone on the campaign trail, running for any office, resort to name calling. I especially hate it when I hear it coming from someone running for President. The argument can be won without being mean or rude. It can be won with facts, with intellect, and with humor. Ronald Reagan was simply a master at it. He could carve someone up in a debate without saying one mean word. And do it with a smile on his face.

When I hear both Hillary and Donald talking about each other, one would think they both just were released from prison. Despicable. I think the most favorable I have heard Donald Trump on the campaign trail is when he asked the minority community, "What do you have to lose by voting for me?" No name calling. No rudeness. No mean talk. Just a question. And a very good one at that.

Of course, Hillary out did Donald in the "mean category" when she went after his supporters. By using one phrase on the trail, she became the undisputed "Queen of mean".  Yes, by using a few big words to say that half of Trump's supporters hate women, minorities, gays, Muslims, you name it - she won the prize. 

When I was in high school, I had a part time job in the paint department at Montgomery Wards after school. A man (Tony) that I worked with, also worked at a paint factory in North Minneapolis for his day job. At 5 pm, he would show up Wards paint department to work until closing. 

One evening, a customer came in (probably after a few drinks) and was spitting mad. His paint did not cover in one coat. He cornered Tony, yelled at him, swore at him and called him names. All the while Tony listened with a smile on his face. Once the man stopped to catch his breath, Tony simply asked the man what he could do to make him happy. That he understood his frustration. 

A short time later, the man left the store with a couple of gallons of paint. I asked Tony how he could take all that verbal abuse. He looked at me and smiled. "I like to kill people with kindness. And don't worry - they won't die from it."

Bingo Tony. A good lesson for our leaders to learn. Rather than name calling, be kind. The argument, the seat being contested for, can be won without being the "King or Queen of mean." 

No comments:

Post a Comment