Thursday, September 8, 2016

Minnesota's rich native culture





"I don't want this to sound corny, but standing in areas which at one time were great Dakota or Ojibwa villages often times sends shivers within me. The rich history in the land I am standing on is truly a gift to us as well as those who will follow."



Headed out soon to visit our remaining state parks in Minnesota. A few years ago, we became members of the Minnesota State Park "Passport Club". The purpose of the club is to visit all 70+ state parks. Once you visit a park, you receive a stamp on your "passport". The ones we will check off this week are in the southwest corner of the state.

One the rich traditions of this state, as well as the Dakotas, is how much Native American history and culture is baked in with what we experience today. Many of the names of counties, cities, lakes and parks bear the names given to them by Native Americans from years ago. The county in which I live derived its name from two different tribes. Anoka means "on both sides of the river" and "working waters". In addition, the name Minnesota came from a Sioux name which literally means "land of sky blue waters".

I don't want this to sound corny, but when I stand in an area which at one time was home to a great Dakota or Ojibwa village, it sends shivers within me. The rich history in the native American land I will have stood on or will be standing on is truly a gift to us, as well as those who will follow.

Our history really gets interesting when tribes like the Dakota would name something, and then French trappers would translate it into their language. For example, one of the state parks we are going to visit is called Lac qui Parle. That is a French translation of the Dakota name which means, "Lake which speaks". I have no clue why the Indians initially named this lake that way. But the name has stuck, and the lake, the county and state park now all bear that name.

Later on this fall, we are going to venture into both Dakotas. I have loved going to the Dakotas since I was a kid. I love going there even more as an adult. This is just my opinion - as rich as Minnesota is in Native American heritage, it pales compared to the Dakotas. I think it is a high honor that both Dakotas bear the name of this once great tribe. 

Have to go now. Places to go, things to see, history to experience. The next time you are looking for something interesting to do for a day or two, consider visiting one of the marvelous state parks in Minnesota. I have seen just about all of them now, and each one is unique and wonderful. I have yet to be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment