Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Tales from the Great Prairie






"Next, the countryside is absolutely gorgeous. It really is - especially this time of year. Finally, I could just imagine how Lewis and Clark felt when they first saw this great land so many years ago."


Today was really something. We decided to make it across the Great Prairie of North Dakota. There is no getting around it. If you want to get to the threshold of the Great West, you must first venture across the Great Prairie of North Dakota. Now the bad news - it is just about 300 miles of flat prairie. And the good news - Interstate 94 has a speed limit of 75 mph (which most folks push up close to 80).

The day was set. We spent the first night in Fargo, so we would not have to drive the 500 miles in one day to Dickinson. That would make a easier day for day two of our journey. We would get off on Bismarck exit and travel to Washburn to hit the Sakakawea Scenic Byway. This was going to be great! We had heard so much about the history and the heritage of this land. 

About twelve miles outside of Washburn, our cell phone rang. It was the hotel we stayed in the night before in Fargo. When I answered, the man at the front desk informed us we had left some things behind in our room. Now we are just about 2/3 of the way to Dickinson across the Great Prairie of North Dakota. But he told me we left all my meds and some other valuables. First time that had EVER happened! 

After spending almost 3 hours of going through the Great Prairie of North Dakota, we decided we needed to go back to Fargo to pick up what we left. So, we scrapped the 
Sakakawea Scenic Byway, beat feet back to Interstate 94, and headed back to Fargo. 

Once we hit Fargo, I had about had it. We went to the motel and picked up what we had forgotten. We then left and gassed up the truck. My wife was wondering if I had enough mojo left in me to do anything, much less drive more hours. I told her one of the things I learned early in the Navy years was "if you break it, you fix it".

Shortly before 3pm, we headed back west. It was going to be another 300 miles on top of what we already had driven. We got back on Interstate 94, cranked the cruise up to 80, and off we went. With only two short bio breaks, we made to our motel in Dickinson before dark.

Now that I am reflecting in our comfortable motel, rather than fighting the wheels in the  driver's seat of my truck, here are some observations. First, this state is another example of how we feed the world. The fields of corn, sunflowers and wheat go on to just about forever. Next, the countryside is absolutely gorgeous. It really is - especially this time of year. Finally, I could just imagine how Lewis and Clark felt when they first saw this great land so many years ago. This history here is deep and profound. I am so anxious for tomorrow to come. 

How is the trip going so far? A bit more exciting than I had imagined. But tomorrow is another day, and history awaits. Don't worry - before we leave for Devil's Tower in two days, I will ENSURE all is packed before checkout! 


2 comments:

  1. A late posting from the migrating Bird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby, the rain must fall. At least yours wasn't a humiliating experience! I had a pair of panties mailed to me (from between the sheets) from the hotel we stayed at in Nawlins. I was mortified and so happy I didn't have to go to the front desk to pick them up ! Ahhh...the good ol' days👜👜!

      Delete