Friday, September 2, 2016

The calm before the storm





"Someone asked me not too long ago, why I care so much. After all, I am retired. I could rest on my laurels and do basically nothing." 


Many who are much smarter than I have said this before. Stuff does not start happening in earnest until after Labor Day. I just got back from taking my grandson for a ride around the block. Most houses are empty as the owners have headed up North or points beyond. Then on Monday eve, they will all come home. Getting geared up for the new school year. And for us political folks, gearing up for the upcoming election.

Even though there is a real storm in earnest (the first hurricane in almost a dozen years to hit Florida), the political storm will not start until there is about two months remaining. I expect with what is at stake this year, it will be "Katie bar the door" when that time arrives. In other words, watch out. Guns will come out blazing (figuratively). But for right now, it is not that way. All is calm, all is good.

Someone asked me not too long ago, why I care so much. After all, I am retired. I could rest on my laurels and do absolutely nothing. My response to that question is simple. In fact, it is similar to the response that Gary Johnson gave to the Millennials. "My generation screwed this up, my generation needs to fix it." Bingo. Us folks from the "selfish sixties" gave our kids a mess which our parents did not give us. Many of us feel it is our job to help fix it.

I am not going to harp on what is wrong with our country right now. Many have already explained that over and over again. The most important thing however, is we get it fixed. From the top to the bottom. We need to fix our school boards. Keep our county, state and federal government Constitutional. Preserve our rights. Keep our freedom and liberty intact. In other words, keep the country on the same even keel our Founders put it on.

It is important to be aware that many on the Left are not originalists when it comes to our Constitution. In fact they are just the opposite. If you don't like one of our freedoms, change it. Not by prescribed Constitutional methods, just by fiat. That is what we are up against. 

The battle will soon be joined. Sitting on the sidelines is not a solution. If we don't fight for the rights our Founders enumerated in our Founding Documents, we will soon lose them. Think about that in November. Tell your friends. Your neighbors. This is not a game - this is real life. It is for all the marbles.



No comments:

Post a Comment