Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Our Mercury Month






"May seems to go by fast enough. But June? That is another story. It can really be a blur." 




I have often thought the month of June should be named Mercury. And there is a good reason for it. This is one of the months we dream about all winter long. Eating outside, cutting grass, fishing, gardening, you name it. But June also has a dark side. We end up packing so much stuff into this 30 day month, if you blink, it is gone. And then you are into the Fourth of July weekend.

May seems to go by fast enough. But June? That is another story. It can really be a blur. Yesterday, I told my wife we needed to update our calendar with the graduations and other events we have coming up. It is only the first of the month, and already the next 30 days are filling up fast. 

When I look at the very busy calendar, I have the same thought I have at this time every year. Why can't January go this fast? January many years seems to take 90 days rather than 31. It is a long, cold, grey and boring month. June on the other hand, is a great time to be alive in Minnesota. Even rainy days are great. Everything looks so good, smells so good, and for some reason even food tastes better. 

I would like to come up with a strategy to slow down time in June. I really would. But I can't. This year June is likely to go just as fast as every other year, no matter how I try and prevent it. All I can do is try to live each day in its fullest and appreciate our annual oasis of nice weather.

Last night after supper I was sitting outside trying to get used to the 72 degree weather. The sky was azure blue, the air held only a gently breeze, and there was not a bug is sight. It was a 10 for sure. I think back to what a friend of mine told me many years ago when we were fishing on a drop dead gorgeous June day. I said it is too bad every day in Minnesota was not like today. His response - "If it were, there would be 30 million people living here".

Well enough of this. I need to get outside and cut the grass. We have a busy day today and tomorrow even busier. Then the weekend, and it will be a whirlwind of activity. And then we are into next week. Holding on to June is like holding on to Mercury. And we need to hang on tight, or the next thing we will know is it will be July in a New York minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment