Sunday, March 20, 2016

Cuba - once again






"So again I say, Viva Cuba Libre!  Not only for the expatriates who now live in this country, but for the countless of Cubans still in their homeland."




A while back I penned an article about Cuba. I said it was one of the few things in the past 7+ years that I thought the Administration got right. And then oh boy - the Bird took some incoming from some of his closest friends. Support for Cuba is also a brave step to take for our Congressman. He and I have discussed this issue more than once. He is on board with the President in normalizing relations with Cuba - and so am I.

Not too long ago we bought some new electronic equipment. My wife noticed it was made in Vietnam. We commented that we are starting to see more and more items we are using that are assembled in that former war torn country. Remember Viet Nam? The Commies that kicked us out of South Viet Nam? That bloody war that cost almost 60,000 brave Americans their lives. That country is still run by the Commies. And now our country visits there and trades with them. 

And guess what is happening to both China and Viet Nam? Because of world trade and tourism, they are starting to look a lot more like capitalist countries and a lot less like North Korea. In fact I just heard an article recently about the high number of billionaires living in China. Billionaires? In the People's Republic?

I see the same thing happening to Cuba. Are the Castros still in power? Absolutely. However, I don't see that lasting for long. I think Cuba is going to take care of things all by itself. As more and more free people come to visit, come to trade, my belief is that liberty will break out just like spring breaks out in April. 

After our trip to Central and South America, I fell in love with Latin American people. They love Americans. They are a joyful and happy people. I can only imagine that the Cuban people would be the same way. To have them continue to suffer under our decades old embargo makes no sense to me. I seems to have hurt the people much more than the government. 

There is one other thing in which I agree with our Congressman as it pertains to Cuba. The Republicans should have grabbed hold of this issue years ago. But they did not. Now the President has it and it is going end up being a feather in his cap. However, just because he beat us to the punch is no reason for us not to support this. I may be wrong on this issue, but I don't think so. I have thought about it much, and talked to people on both sides many times. 

So again I say, Viva Cuba Libre!  Not only for the expatriates who now live in this country, but for the countless of Cubans still in their homeland. Freedom and liberty for all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment