Monday, March 21, 2016

Fear and loathing of the IRS





"It is a mind blowing 74,608 pages long. And just about every page is written in some lawereze gobblety gook."



I am going to try and write this posting in a most civil manner. And even before I get into any kind of rant, let me clarify something. I do not loathe or hate the IRS. I do not loathe or hate any employee at the IRS (although Lois Lerner did take me to the wall). I DO however, both loathe and hate what we have allowed the IRS to become. It is Frankenstein's Monster, on steroids.

Because of social engineering, income redistribution, reparations, or whatever - we the people have built this thing, this monster, which is so complicated, nobody understands it. According to Wolters Kluwer CCH, today's tax code is 187 times longer than it was a century ago. Was does that mean? It is a mind blowing 74,608 pages long. And just about every page is written in some lawereze gobblety gook. 

Many candidates for President have talked about a flat tax or a fair tax. Some say the tax code should be anywhere from 1 to 10 pages long. Period. No deductions, no exemptions. If it is a flat tax of 10%, you make a dollar, you give a dime to the government. Kind of like tithing in a church. Ten cents out of every dollar goes to the Lord. And by the way - since when should we give more to the government than to the church? How about 10% for each?

My wife and her brother are struggling trying to figure out how to pay about $20 in taxes on their late Father's trust. If they both had billable hours of minimum wage, their bill to do this nonsense would now be in the hundreds. It is crap, absolute crap that we put up with this year after year after year. And nobody in Washington seems to have the stones to fix it. 

Next month I have to pay my thousands of dollars into my state as my Social Security, my wife's Social Security and my military pension are taxed. I am still very hot under the collar about that whole thing, since most states do not. And this issue will drive me out of the state. All because we insist on a cocked up income tax that few understand, and most everyone hates.



No comments:

Post a Comment