Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The death of movie (theaters)






"Movies are now shown in multiplex environments in the 'burbs. They are cold and impersonal."


When I was a young lad, going to the movies was a huge deal. And back then, movies were mostly good. Plus (and this is a big one), most movies were acceptable for the entire family to watch. Movies that had some length to them had an intermission. That was a chance to visit a very clean and nice restroom and maybe get some more popcorn or Red Hots.

We would get dressed up, get in the car and head downtown. With my family I saw South Pacific, Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, North by Northwest and Some Like it Hot (just to name a few). The movie theater lobbies were elegant - and they had that smell - that movie theater smell. It was always a fun and safe evening.

But that was then, and this is now. Only a few of the once elegant theaters have survived. And they have changed their venue to live performances showing any kind of talent or plays. Movies are now shown in multiplex environments in the 'burbs. The new theaters are cold and impersonal. And did I mention expensive? Plus to take the family to a movie - good luck on that one. That is unless, you don't mind exposing your kids to graphic violence, language of the worst kind, and yes of course, some sex.

Every now and again my wife and I will venture over to the local multiplex to see an afternoon movie. Often times there are only a few people in the theater. The theaters are trying to stay relevant, they really are. Remodeled and spacious atriums, improved kick back seating, and even an expanded snack collection. Many movies are filmed in digital formats and have ear splitting sound. But - (and this is a big one), they are for the most part garbage. Either remakes, sequels, prequels, or just plain bad.

Are movies then on their death spiral? Maybe not. People still need that escape. And as far as the quality of movies is concerned, hope always springs eternal. In other words, people are still hopeful when they see the previews of upcoming attractions that one or two just might be watchable.

Movie theaters though, might be another story. And forward thinking companies like Netflix are ready to speed up their demise. I like many others, have an excellent place to watch movies. It is comfortable and very affordable. Plus, like many others, I have Netflix. So I can sit in my very comfortable chair, watch my big screen TV with surround sound, and see streaming movies to my heart's content.

This morning I read an article about how Netflix is stepping up their game. They are buying movies right off the cutting room floor. No movie theater run, no waiting. From movie maker to Netflix, to viewers. I believe that is just the start of this trend. And it will be yet another nail in the coffin of the movie theaters. 

If I am still around when the last movie multiplex closes its doors, I will have my fond memories of movie watching as a boy. Those were good times, golden times. Now they are only cherished memories of an Americana long past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment