Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Fractured Vessel






"I have some very good friends who went to Cleveland. Some were for Ted Cruz, a few were for others, and the rest were for Donald Trump."



We as a nation are far from being monolithic. We are far from being homogeneous. And truthfully - we are now far from looking like a patchwork quilt. What do we look like right now? A mess. Not just any mess - a hot mess. 

Why do I say that? I have some very good friends who went to Cleveland. Some were for Ted Cruz, a few were for others, and the rest were for Donald Trump. I have said this many times. I was a Ted Cruz guy until he suspended. Yes, I do wish he was there at the end. But he was not. It then became painfully real to me. A vote will end up being between Hillary or Donald Trump. There is not a third way out. But that is just my opinion.

So whenever I post something like that, my friends who are in the "Never Trump" camp, have been all over me. Reality (as I see it), is a vote for Trump might be enough to derail the Hillary express. A vote for anyone else but Trump, might just be a vote for Hillary. 

One of my social media friends (who I respect), told me a vote for either Trump or Hillary was the same "bite out of the same turd sandwich." Okay - I took that advise on board. Then on Friday when we were driving home from up north, we listened to Beck right before Rush came on. Beck's take - Hillary's a crook, and Trump is a phony megalomaniac. Okay - to both those sage inputs I have the same question. What are we going to do in November? PLEASE don't tell me it does not matter, because it does!

So here is what we have going into Philadelphia. The Bernie supporters are feeling screwed. The Hillary supporters have more troubles than Carter's has pills. The Trump supporters are somewhat threadbare right now. The Cruz supporters are feeling dejected. And the Gary Johnson supports are feeling like they should feel - very small. All in all, who is going to govern this mess? And how can they govern this mess?

I have said this before. Whomever is our next President has to clean up the mess Obama has left us. And it is a big mess. Hillary has pledged to be "more of the same". That is bad news. Donald Trump has said he would like to "kick the tables over in Washington and make some changes." And he might.

Here is the problem in a nutshell. Be it the Republicans, the Democrats (or the "others"), this country is ripe for a change. And just to be clear - if we want to change our Constitution, it will not be easy. To do so, will involve many people from many states. So if we can't pull that magic off - sticking with our original Constitution is what we will need to do. And that is not that bad of an idea.

Whoever takes over this great country will inherit the same thing. A fractured vessel. It will be tough, no matter who wins. I would like to say it will be easy, but it will not. That is unless we can figure out how to once again be a patchwork quilt instead of a fractured vessel. The last guy left us more fractured - let us hope the next man or woman can pull us back together without bankrupting us.


No comments:

Post a Comment