Thursday, July 21, 2016

Stranger in his own land...






"For some reason which logic escapes me, we have people who went through an endorsing convention, lost, and then decided to have 'round two' in the primary."



We are coming down to just a few weeks before the primary. Because of our caucus system, the primary should be just a formality. A warm up to the general election. Not this year. For some reason which logic escapes me, we have people who went through an endorsing convention, lost, and then decided to have "round two" in the primary. Some even promised to support the endorsed candidate if they came in second during the endorsement process. And that is exactly what happened in House District 31B.

It pains me to write this, it really, really does. My sitting representative, Tom Hackbarth lost the endorsement of his BPOU this year. After serving 22 years, that should have been enough for most normal people. But Hackbarth became seduced by the dark side. The ugly side of St. Paul. The lobbyists, the power brokers, the scum. Not the people who sent him to St. Paul every two years for two decades. The people who are (or were now) Tom's friends and neighbors. No, Tom turned his back on them, and is trying to screw over the very good man who beat him for the BPOU endorsement.

Win or lose on August 9th, Tom Hackbarth is now a stranger in his own land. He will probably never come to a BPOU meeting again. He will not want to face the heat. Most of us when growing up were warned by our parents that everything we do in life has a cost or a price. And the cost of running in this primary is going to be huge for Tom Hackbarth. He will from now on be looked upon as a pariah, a turncoat, a man who cannot be trusted.

The very sad thing is that Tom had some good years. Did some good things. Now that is all forgotten. Tom "the good guy" has been replaced with Tom "the traitor" in his home district. And if he does win the primary in August, he will be be a shoe in for the general. That is the nature of the beast in 31B. So who can I as well as others go to for help should I need it? I can no longer call Tom my representative as he does no longer represents me. I believe I speak for many others when I say that.

Our only hope is to get as many people as possible to vote August 9th for CALVIN BAHR. He is our ENDORSED candidate. The choice of the people. A highly qualified man who is capable of "kicking over some tables" set up by the corrupt scum who have taken over St. Paul.

As for me, I am going to follow the system as it was intended to be. Someone asked me who I would have supported if Hackbarth had won the endorsement. My answer was simple and honest - I would have supported Tom Hackbarth. And by the way, so would have Cal Bahr. Why? That is the way the system works. Period. Done with story. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you misunderstand the role of endorsement. You cannot FORCE the endorsement to have value to the candidate. Unless you believe that the candidate you endorse CAN win the general election and are willing to put in the time, money and effort to make that happen, endorsement has almost no value, and shouldn't. If all you are going to do is pick the most angry and emotional candidate (I have no reason to say this specifically, just in general), then your endorsement will and should be refuted by the primary voters. You have the responsibility to pick the best candidate, the one likely to win the general, and to put forth the effort required to make it so.

    ReplyDelete